April 17, 2019
NEW YORK – The Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) adopted 95 new scholarships at over $ 80 million at its February Board meeting. As previously announced, SNF suspended the submission of new grant purposes on the finish of 2018 as a way to reassess the method of reviewing grants. Nevertheless, throughout this period, the Foundation has continued to assessment pre-break grant purposes and has permitted this new grant. Grants mirror the Foundation's dedication to supporting organizations pursuing a wide range of very important activities worldwide to deal with some of an important societal points with sustainable and efficient options
and Bloomberg Media Initiative Africa. New grants on this space will deepen present partnerships and launch new ones:
- Media Coaching and Improvement (iMEdD), Athens, Greece – was established in 2018 solely with the help of SNF. journalism by promoting openness, independence and excellence within the subject and by promoting new ideas and initiatives. Its ideas space connects journalism students and younger and established professionals to trade concepts and study from specialists and greatest practices, while its incubator provides experience, strategic steerage, assets and networking opportunities to deliver progressive new tasks to life.
- Chatham House (Royal Institute of International Affairs), London, UK – For almost a century, Chatham House has been a reliable supply of rigorous and insightful evaluation. complicated improvement that types the world. SNF has had an extended partnership with Chatham House, together with, among other issues, establishing an SNF layer on the Chatham House with a new simulation middle and media studio. The latest landmark SNF grant for Chatham House is predicated on previous help for making a future SNF Wing and a new Concept and Innovation Laboratory that may provide Chatham House with the key instruments for expanding and enhancing digital research and evaluation.
- Strategic and Worldwide Studies (CSIS), Washington, DC, USA – One of probably the most prestigious establishments within the concept, CSIS has been a Washington establishment for greater than half a century. Collaboration between CSIS and SNF extends to 1998. The new scholarship expands and expands CSIS Journalism Bootcamp (formerly CSIS Practicum in trendy journalism), bringing collectively emerging suppliers from the US, Greece, and other nations for an intensive week. workshops and workshops, and culminates in producing a long-term report on the current topic, which incorporates video, audio, and graphics elements. The important part of Bootcamp is CSIS's Dracopoulos iDeas Lab, which works with CSIS coverage specialists to utilize digital tools and find progressive ideas for his or her research.
- Athens World of Images, Athens, Greece – The award-winning Greek photographic journalist Yannis Behrakis from Pulitzer not solely collected unimaginable stories about our world; he lived with them. Previous to March 2019, Behrakis and SNF have been concerned in creating a new occasion focusing on the excellence of the photographic press. Athens Photograph World brings collectively greater than 100 photographers and emphasizes the position of photograph posters to help us think about the world and discover occasions in actual time as history develops, and offering skilled alternatives for creating photographers via scholarships. By supporting Athens Photograph World SNF whereas serving to to proceed Yannis Behrakis' rich professional and personal heritage for the longer term.
Selling civil dialogue and civic cooperation has turn out to be an increasingly essential priority for SNF, and polarization threatens to tear civil society aside. After Johns Hopkins University was awarded a landmark for the establishment of the SNF Agora Institute in 2017, SNF continues to help organizations constructing bridges over social differences:
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA and highly effective residents and civic leaders? The University of Pennsylvania goals to help handle this problem by establishing a five-year SNF Paideia program. The College makes use of the basic Greek idea of Paideia – holistic schooling – to offer college students with the essential civic and moral expertise wanted to satisfy at present's challenges. Paideia goals to take part in a big part of Penn's undergraduate college students by way of current and new educational courses throughout Penn's 12 faculties, and to offer college students with sensible expertise by means of public occasions for civil society. Paideia is the center that connects the community of institutes, centers, packages and college students to Penni and past. Based mostly on all these parts, the curriculum program for a selected group of scholar leaders, Paideia Fellows, is structured.
- Theater of Conflict Productions, New York City, USA – When traditional dialogue is troublesome, controversial or taboo, how do communities handle them? The Struggle of Productions Theater provides one of the unique approaches that use basic texts to debate pressing topical issues on aged care, refugee disaster, mental well being, racial injustice. Based mostly on lengthy and in depth help, SNF absolutely cooperates with Struggle of Productions and the Brooklyn Public Library to draw a variety of New Yorkers with a free ten-week run at Antigone Ferguson. Michael Brown's Demise in 2014.
- The Shed, New York Metropolis, USA – The Shed is New York's most vital cultural establishment. A structure that features a cellular outer shell is an appropriate metaphor for the dynamic activity of the plant. Shed seeks to vary the town's cultural panorama by ordering solely unique works that worry disciplinary boundaries from dance, sculpture, painting, music. Shed's vision is to be versatile, participatory and democratic, as it’s really open to all and interested audiences in a artistic course of. With the help of SNF, group awards and inventive and student-led civic packages which are free to the public are supported.
Whether elevated participation in the arts, well being, or sports, and the supply of assets and opportunities are the cornerstones of SNF's grant making. :
- Regeneration & Progress, all over Greece – Regeneration & Progress Cellular Docs (MMUs) supply in depth free medical providers to individuals dwelling in distant Greek islands and assist clear up one of probably the most urgent well being points in a single country. The new SNF grant will permit the MMU to continue its very important providers on the distant islands, but may also help the widespread extension of the initiative to the outermost regions of continental Europe. In addition to the MMUs, the organization carries out regular sporting activities on the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Middle in Athens and in remote areas by means of the Sports activities Path Program. As well as, the Sports activities Excellence program supplies particular person indicators and inputs for wholesome schooling for younger athletes, including these getting ready to compete within the 2020 Summer time Olympics in Tokyo.
SNF supplies help for future Olympic athletes via excellence in sport. and exclusive help for athletes for Greek crusing and rowing teams in preparation for the 2020 Games. A serious SNF grant to the Hellenic Olympic Committee will help your complete rowing workforce, men and women, and two sailors, as they attempt to satisfy the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Special Olympics Hellas, All Greece – SNF helps a totally simple however highly effective concept on the heart of the Special Olympics: specifically, that an inclusive world is a greater world for everyone. SNF's current grant supports Particular Olympics International's efforts to promote unified gaming and studying by way of inclusive sport and schooling all through the world. SNF has also repeatedly supported Hellas Particular Olympics. The new funding will help broaden programming and attain 750 younger athletes with special wants in 21 Greek cities, offering them year-round coaching in 12 totally different Olympic sports activities.
- New York – Presbyterian Hospital, New York City, USA – New York-Presbyterian (NYP) creates a paradigm shift in providing good, fast well being care. With the NIP telehealth platform, patients can see docs and specialists shortly and are able to serve over half a million sufferers by the top of the yr. This SNF grant supplies entry to high-quality telehealth know-how for underage patients in Washington Heights and Inwood in New York. New providers scale back ready occasions and supply constant monitoring in continual circumstances.
- Mount Sinai Hospital, Queens, New York Metropolis, USA – Stroke is a serious and growing well being drawback. This April, New York introduced new tips for the remedy of stroke, including the sending of sure stroke victims on to hospitals capable of thrombectomy. The help offered by SNF to Queens of Sinai helps the recognition that such essential providers usually are not obtainable to patients in many hospitals within the metropolis. This grant is predicated on previous help for Mount Sinai, and the outcomes serve as a worldwide model for coaching and analysis on superior stroke therapy.
- Museum of Trendy Artwork (MoMA), New York City, USA He’s making a big bodily enlargement and can also be making an attempt to provide extra guests than ever to his collections and art-related packages. SNF's vital new present comes to the museum's bending level and helps MoMA's efforts to increase accessibility and increase its essential group packages by 70 %. Efforts embrace packages reminiscent of Art inSight (for the Blind or Visually Impaired), MoMA Interpretation (for Deaf or Hearing Impaired Individuals), Create Potential (for Individuals with Studying Disabilities), and Meet Me at MoMA (for individuals with dementia and their caregivers)
Caring for and Prospects of Weak Groups, particularly Youngsters, are notably necessary for SNF's help for tasks aimed toward growing accessibility:
SOS Youngsters's Villages Greece, Greece – The removing of childcare for weak youngsters is acknowledged worldwide as a way of enhancing well being care. This help for SOS Youngsters's Villages in Greece supports the launch of a new nationwide initiative pilot part that helps de-institutionalization. On the similar time, the help additionally helps the continuation of a program providing short-term housing and care for youngsters in public maternity hospitals by putting them in long-term adoption for families with youngsters.
Edmílson Foundation, across Brazil – Retired soccer participant José Edmílson Gomes de Moraes tells us what it means to be a real champion when he makes use of his success. Supported by SNF, the Edmílson Foundation supplies protected and beneficial gaming environments for underage women and boys 6-18 in many native communities. Edmílson spent half of his profession at FC Barcelona. This try and make a constructive change via soccer equates the Barca Foundation's progressive FutbolNet program, which is supported by SNF, and uses soccer and different sporting activities to allow young individuals to interact within the agency, take duty, incorporate others and mirror on all of them. Edmílson took half in the SNF DIALOGUES debate last summer time referred to as "Football saves the world."
- New York Group Trust, New York City, USA – The Foster Care Excellence Fund (FCEF) of the New York Group Belief allows funders to make a systemic change within the New York Care System. By means of the great remedy model developed by the FCEF, schooling for young individuals has the chance to have more in depth particular person help assets.
- Samu Social Sénégal, Dakar, Senegal – In French, the official language of Senegal, SAMU is an acronym for "ambulance". As the identify "Samu Social Sénégal" exhibits, the scope of the organization goes beyond medical care, but the sense of urgency considerations the scope of its work. Homeless youngsters dwelling within the capital of Senegal's Dakar experience violence, severe dwelling circumstances and insecurity. With the assistance of Samu Social Sénégal, SNF goals to improve the supply of health and social providers to these youngsters.
To complete the reassessment of the grant assessment course of, whereas continuing to implement the continued grants. maintains a break in new grant purposes at the very least till September 30, 2019. , which aims to improve and enhance public well being providers all through the nation.
Within the early levels, the Foundation can also be exploring new initiatives aimed toward revitalizing the Laconia area in Greece by way of targeted actions within the subject of schooling. well being and tradition (in conversation with Spartan Basic Hospital, Spartan Archaeological Museum and Sparta Mosaic's Museum). The initiative consists of the revival of the Vamvakou village, the ancestor of the previous Stavros Niarchos
SNF will proceed to take part in the month-to-month DIALOGUES collection in addition to the annual Summer time Carry Pageant – 23-30, in addition to making a grant. June Stavros at the Niarchos Foundation Cultural Middle (SNFCC) in Athens, which includes the 2019 SNF Conference "[Untitled]" (June 24-25) and one other workshop by the SNF Agora Institute. Johns Hopkin University (June 26)